Monday 21 May 2012

Real Life can be a PITA

And for those of you who don't know that little acronym, P.I.T.A. is Pain In The Ass.

That's what real life has been for me recently. Trying to get time together to get some writing done, various elements have gotten in the way and disrupted me. Being married, and a father of two young boys will always supply a stream of events that will impose upon me, and I need to be prepared for that.

Of course, it is an easy scapegoat for my own flaws as well. Until now, I have been a very instinctual writer. When I get an idea, I just write it. It forms well in my mind, and I follow the rules subconsciously while coming up with my fictional piece. In order to do this, I rely on the spontaneous flash of inspiration which seems to bring with it a host of preformed ideas, concepts and even images and scenes. Now, I am moving to being more professional. To that end, I am seeking out the ideas, then building them up into plots and story lines. This takes a little more discipline and effort on my part which I interpret as stifling my creativity.

I know that's a load of rubbish at an intellectual level, but it does little to abolish the feelings. So, I struggle with the 'new' approach to composing my work, and then something comes along in my life that I could have easily planned for, or could put off for a short period of time while I close off a section of my work. But I find myself complaining loudly about the interruption, which in turns robs me of the thoughts I had at the time I was interrupted, storming off to deal with it and not returning to the writing task for anywhere up to days later.

So, another task for me in making myself a better, more productive writer, is to not allow the real world to intrude so much by planning my writing sessions, and other needs. I just hope I can do it.

Well, we'll see soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment